Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ask, and Ye Shall Receive

I heard back from the agent this morning (I did go with a short note to follow up):


Thanks so much for offering me the chance to consider your material. The timing of your follow-up email was perfect. I was just getting to your material (yes, it's been AGES!). Unfortunately, your project doesn't seem right for me. Since it's crucial that you find an agent who will represent you to the best of his or her ability, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to step aside rather than ask to represent your manuscript.

You have a great imagination - I love the premise and setting - and you're a good writer, but I'm sad to say that I just wasn't passionate enough about this to ask to see more. I wish I could offer constructive suggestions, but I thought the dialogue was fine, the characters well-crafted, and the plot well-conceived. I think it's the kind of thing that really is subjective - why some people adore the book on the top of the NYTimes bestseller list, and others don't.

Also, please keep in mind that we welcome queries for exciting new projects from authors who have previously submitted other projects to us.

Once again, thank you for the opportunity to take this on.

Of course.

Why should my talents and fabulousness have any different effect on an agent than it has on potential employers (and, historically, on men for that matter)?

"WOW you are amazing! Bye-bye now!"

*Pleh*

No comments: