Friday, May 21, 2010

'Tude

I just really want to cry right now.

The email brushoff for that Communications job just came. I have to admit, I am amazed. And hugely disappointed. I mean, I interviewed with THIS group once upon a time, and the recruiter at that time told me I'd done great, but the job was going to a referral. From one of the people I'd *interviewed* with.

This time, not even a phone screen?

What in goodness' name did the more recent recruiter I spoke with - apparently so unimpressively (not that he bothered to interview me) - say to the one now on this job? When he forwarded my new reference, from a guy who is a SVP for COMMUNICATIONS to him?? Because, seriously, given some sort of questions to answer, I could have shone, but I had no chance to do so. And now it looks like I'm outright shut out, regardless of a resume which has gotten this company's attention not once, but TWICE, and for a position for which I am ludicrously well qualified, not to mention formidably *recommended*!

... the ... ??



Look. Universe. I already took one three thousand dollar pay cut two years ago. I get that you'd really like me to take another ten or so off, but I can NOT afford to do that, I really can't. I'm not asking for gold plated gold plates, here. I'm asking for less than I made at my previous position.

And, people? I am GOOD. I am loyal, and stunningly high-caliber. I bring vastly more talent to the table than most employers have ever even plumbed nor been able to use, but it beats being inadequate. I have, so I was told over and over and over again by my most recent manager, an attitude so great it's unbelievable - but this has always been a key to my success, kids. It's a major part of relationship management.

What DO I have to DO?

Seriously?

I need to have a job. And, though it's rare I'll utter such a sentiment, I *deserve* to have one. My resume is a showstopper, and my personal presence hits it out of the park. I know this. I've been told by those who have no reason to lie. I give GOOD interview, and I'm certainly an eager worker.

What is going on - that, though I've been looking since *December* my usual fortune abandons me in this market?



My mom once said of me, "When Diane gets the interview, she gets the job."

There are reasons for this - not least, most of what my mama taught me.

So GIVE me the interview, people. And make me the offer. I promise, I am ridiculously worth it.

2 comments:

Wolfmammy said...

Unfortunately I've seen a lot of people in the last year or two who can't get a job because they're over-qualified! WTF? It always sounds ridiculous to me to hear that someone is too qualified to do something, but what it really means is that the company doesn't want to pay you the money that you're worth. So they go with someone who's less qualified and won't cost as much.

For what it's worth, *I* know what you're worth and I hope some of these people realize it soon.

DLM said...

Qualifications ideally translate monetarily, of course. Unfortunately, I am very expensively qualified. And I have limits as to how far I am willing to compromise what I am worth.

Right now, employers have the market. They don't like to pay for expensive luxury models like me when the economy models are sufficient to their needs - and may also be more beholden, perhaps, as well. I understand it fine.

But I took a $3k pay cut in 2008, in the name of "getting in" with a company whose security is legendary. (And we know how this strategy worked for me.) My asking price in fact remains the figure THEY hired me at. So $3k less than I made as of 02-08, AND two and a half years later. I'd say that's about the extent of a discount I'm willing to offer for the quality on tap with me.

As some very wonderful people have been kind enough to point out: it will happen.

I do really hope, though, that I don't use up what little severance my "ex" has provided me with before that occurs.

If the old standard of measurement holds true, that you should expect to be on the job hunt for about a month for every $10k you wish to make, and we adjust for the fact that though I started in late December I was searching much more slowly at first, maybe this will happen somewhat soon.

I had the daunting thought recently that right now, being out of work until July is entirely possible (not to say "likely"). Not a happy moment, that one. I thought even in December this could take half the year, though. So maybe I am on schedule.

*Sigh*