Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Alumni

My employer-before-last was the firm I spent the longest time working for, at five and a half years/four different jobs. I've always been fortunate to work with (if not always directly *for*) people I respect and also like, but at this firm the quotient was exceptionally high on that scale.

The place has diffused into my blood to some extent. When I talk with the people I knew there, it's always a pleasure. The culture of that employer was completely borne out in the personalities of its people, especially its executives. Intelligent, ethical, and often funny, I'm privileged that many of them remember me, and kindly at that. It's been tempting sometimes to just name the place outright; there's nothing I'd say damaging to them or to my relationship with them - but discretion is always the default.


Today - lunch with one of my particular favorite people. We talked about the job sitch a bit, but also family, dogs, whatever amusements came up. He was as excited as I am to hear about one of the irons I've got on the fire, and hopes that one will heat up for me. I told him I'd take HIM to lunch if I get a job out of it.

There's a nice little list of people I want to celebrate with, come to think of it. I won't forget a one of them, either. I'm very much blessed in the people who are kind enough to think well of me. And supremely grateful.

No comments: