Friday, July 9, 2010

And Here Begynneth ...

... the scraping of the windowsills.

Cleanup went well yesterday, scrubbing down dingy old walls and cabinets in prep to paint the kitchen. I even finally got behind the fridge and cleaned back there as well, and swabbed about two-thirds of the ceiling. This morning, of course, light of day mercilessly shows how poor a tool a Swiffer is for cleaning oil-based gloss ceilings, even with a dose of Spic and Span. Results make the untouched part of the job look practically pristine, with a smooth shellac of years of cooking-vapor nice and even across its expanse - while the "cleaned" portion is smeary and disappointing in the extreme.

Bleah.

But so it goes, and so it goeth.

Mom's been delayed, a trip to go buy a new grill with my stepfather (this task has been pending for months now, but apparently today suddenly it became The Urgent Business of the Day - so she has had to put *our* plans off ...). She called a few minutes ago, and they had not even left the house yet.

She has hopes to be over here around noon. I'm optimistically figuring one, at best.

And so on.

So I pulled out my paint supplies (goodly and plentiful, actually), and this tells me we have enough drop-cloth-ery to paint an entire house without moving one dropper ... but that, along with the paint we'll need to buy, some masking tape wouldn't go amiss.

In the meantime: my high-quality scraper I didn't even know I had. This thing is deluxe - and I was expecting putty knives. So finding *that* was a happy thing.

Ten-forty-four hours, and I'm dooping around the kitchen, listening to DS9 Season Two still. We're up to the Maquis. Good, fun stuff.

... and counting ...

No comments: