Monday, July 12, 2010

Ankle

So on Saturday night, I got myself cuted up and went down the stairs to sally forth and go see my friend V and her husband W to celebrate V's birthday. We'd decided to hit the retro diner for a nosh and a giggle, and so of course I took the dark blue bag (now stink-free) out on the town.

I got halfway down the steps via the usual mechanics. It was those last five steps - they were a lulu. My left heel caught on the tip of the tread, and that was it for me. It was a good way to fall, and the first rush was fairly intense pain, followed within thirty seconds or less by a more generalized numbness. I landed on my knee (and that was the second knee-bashing I've had this week ... for I am CLUMSY and graceless), but it was that left ankle that took the beating. (Not for the first time; it often seems to be my left foot I've kinked and knocked around!) My leg had folded up under me, so my ankle took the weight of my body right on the edge of a stair. I can see the outline of the step perfectly clearly.

I soldiered on for my friend, and was okay; not even limping. It was sore, but you deal, don't you.

Sunday, I was having to not-quite-limp but definitely favoring the thing, and spent a good long time at the paint shop with the super nice guys there, and then a somewhat shorter time at the grocery. Home again, and off and running with the red paint.

Ohh, it looks so fresh and great. The old red was a bit dull to begin with, and had aged significantly of course - so this is a shot of new, of energy, of vigor and - yes, I know this is a dorky word choice - promise. It's teasing me about how great everything will look once it comes together.

I've moved slowly with the first actual painting (three days IN to the "painting" project!), but I'm going to be happy. The ultra-white is so clean - I've done a little of that too - but the red is alive. And the ankle is actually hurting worse today than it did yesterday.

Oops. Yeah: no. I didn't keep it elevated. I didn't wrap it, no.

So I elevated and wrapped last night. This has harnessed the swelling pretty well, and in fact even reversed some bruising.

I'm back out of the pressure bandage today, but will try to be good and take breaks and at least lift the thing. We'll see how it goes. Because it hurts most to the *touch*.

Well, anyway. Mom's coming over in an hour or so, and we'll be back off to arguing fine points of detailing and process (she's *really* into primer; which is so thick and nasty to work with, it is leaving a surface about as smooth as STUCCO to paint on - which, for my money [literally] is a dadgum no go). But anyway. It should at least go faster, having someone to work with.

And she might even say "poor old Diane - how is your ankle?" and be my nice mommy. Hee.

No comments: