Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Straw Man

Wow, so my last two Netflickings have been the two versions, in order, of "Wicker Man." Chosen not out of frothing interest, nor frankly high expectations - and certainly not surpassing them at all. The surprise is that Nick Cage's version 2.0 isn't bad in the egregiously wonderful sense so many of his flicks are, but in an almost moral sense.

I don't mean the religious positions. Christian I may be, but offended by *depictions* of paganism I can't say I am in (ahem) spirit.

Offended, however, by horrible filmmaking, I can be.

And by terrifyingly blatant, unquestioning misogyny.

Wow.

I mean, Wicker 2.0 is just a primal scream of terror and loathing of women. Not even funny.


***


In a VERY sidelong irony, I wore my bee pendant today for the first time - a gift to me from people, oddly enough, who live in the Pacific Northwest. Heh.

Mine has a different kind of symbolism, of course.

Still an amusing piece of timing, though, with the bee thematics in today's special being about the only interesting aspect of the rewrite of the much more successfully and interestingly bad original

As to the rest, I'll be happy to have Netflix back on a quality movie groove pretty quickly now. For this chapter: so done. Eep.

No comments: