Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oh Ow You Guys

Today's only search strings:

springtime bad headaches make me sick

what can i take for a headache insead of ibruprofin


I feel for y'all. And here's a way to avoid my pill-popping ways: ICE. As much of a fool for analgesics as I am, when I am at home and not at the mercy of office space, the single finest and FASTEST cure for a headache is to freeze it. Keeping a pint of fruit sorbet in the house is actually workable, but the best way to manage it is simple ice packs (use the bag of frozen peas or corn if you don't already have multiple ice packs - but buy at least two, so you can rotate them as one thaws out on your raging head). I've tried the gel masks you're supposed to refrigerate, and it's bearable but I find those uncomfortable - and, frankly, smelly.

And if your headaches are migraines, here is something you should know. IF you can catcth the incipient symptoms, it is actually possible to stop certain migraines dead in their tracks - no drugs, no weird spells, no bargains with the devil. Give yourself brain freeze. The nerve signals caused by THIS form of headache actually interrupt those of a newborn migraine, and short out the relays attempting to build a nasty network in your neurons. Brain freeze is simple, of course - get a Slurpee (a cure for so *much* on a hot summer day) - eat some ice cream fast ... keep a spoon in the freezer at all times, and put it against your soft palate when you feel the first pain.

For all I have become the stooge of the pills, I do know about non-drug methods of managing pain. I also know that, usually, they are FAR speedier in their effects, and vastly more satisfactory in producing results. I just got lazy somewhere along the line. And The Lolly has no thumbs; so she's rotten at taking care of me this way.

No comments: