Sunday, June 19, 2011

Today Ta-daa

I got the house clean today, and vacation is coming up. Today I've done 4 loads of laundry, patched two pair of jeans, fixed three in the seams of a good work dress, and then got a beautiful job done on lining the lace of a really pretty work-and-probably-more dress, stitching in a piece of black acetate to mask the lace, and then stitch-witching it to reinforce and finish/trim the job.

Unfortunately, the beautiful job I did on this last piece was only the first half of a two-sided job ... and on side two, I almost immediately MELTED the lace ...

*Bleah*

It's not a disaster; all I really need to do is get some similar lace from the fabric store, then I can reinforce it *before* even re-installing it into the dress. For my sanity, I might even be able to use something more like embroidery lace, which has the advantage of being more refined-looking than the thin poly stuff, but also offers the weight and substance to make it less than an utter and complete nightmare to sew - as the extremely thin, light, and gossamer stuff currently in place would be, either to stitch by hand (I'm a dab hand with a needle, actually, but with my glasses long since broken, and only so much patience for such incredibly fine work, there's a certain amount of commitment involved in thin-lace/acetate (or stretchy knit - augh) sewing) OR with a machine. I may be good, and even patient, with my current issues with close/fine vision - but the more snarling-up extremely thin, slippery, and/or spider-web-weight textiles I can avoid, the better.

So the dress, which I'd wanted to wear this week, is sitting in the sewing pile, one side looking fantastic, and the other quite literally irreparable with existing materials. Le Sigh.



But the real news isn't really my production of wearable clothing, from my own sewing and/or laundry piles. It's the fact that some of my clothing is going in a suitcase, and soon I will be seeing my family again.

My brother made bouef bourginon tonight.

I hate my brother. Because no way that's lasting long enough for me to get some.


(Confidential to him: have ya talked to the folks at that sandwich place about producing one of those unbelievable pot roast sandwiches, during my stay ... ??? Heh.)

No comments: