Sunday, November 27, 2011

Happy 1500th Anniversary of your Death, My King!

This article marks the first time I have seen the theory that the Franks' name is in any way etymologically to be linked to the term ferocious - my immediate gut-think is that it would be the other way around.  The commonest etymology I ran across in my reasearch years (there were three and some change) is that the name derives from the francisca, the distinctive ax they carried.  The second-commonest theory was that both the ax's name and the people's rooted in a word meaning freedom, liberty.

For the overall nutshell picture, though, it's a pretty good article.


***


I always feel like I'm reading children's books when I go in for nutshells on Clovis.  Nothing against children's books at all, of course.  But I did get a bit beyond 'em some time back - as with research on the Man Himself.

No comments: