Thursday, December 15, 2011

Upstairs ... Up ... Lit ...

12/14 is the anniversary both of the night my family used to always put up (*and decorate ...) the tree, and the first date Mr. X and I ever had.  Last night would have commemorated 48 Christmases between my parents, and was nine for their daughter.

Last night, I got as far as bringing the tree up, putting it together, and shaping the branches a bit.  This evening, I've gotten it lit.  Something like eight strings of LED lights still doesn't illuminate like the old fashioned big bulbs - but it is a pretty, bright sight.  I've brought dad's ashes in to sit with me.

And now, it's time ... to pull out some of the ornaments we used to have as a family ... to hang the ones given me by friends, neighbors, coworkers, employers ... to choose where the bell will go so it can chime when Siddy brushes by - and hang the glittery Santa ball near a light so it will glimmer.  To breathe.  To change this house.  To think of Christmas.

To be alone.  And think of nights that would have been ... unimaginable.

2 comments:

sgchris said...

Awwww, well done, but sad! :(

Like the part about the ornaments - takes us such a loong time to do that, since we must go trippin' to memory lane, since most all were given to us. ;)

DLM said...

Thank you, my friend.

It's a funny thing - some of the posts which turn out to be the saddest ones really aren't written feeling especially low. I just look at the way life's gone sometimes, and marvel. It would never have been my choice for it to be as it is - and yet, now, I can't really imagine exchanging what it is for ANYTHING else. I made my choices and don't spend my time regretting them ...

It's just, sometimes, it'd be nice if Siddy were getting even more pettin's than just from me. :)