Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dialogue Revision

I think the thing I'm finding frustrating about the work I *am* getting done, since I don't have any readers to give me direction on the work I am *not* getting done (cutting, cutting, tightening, cutting, killing off my darlings, cutting), is that refitting the dialogue does not shorten the work overall.  It does provide a nip and tuck here, and I know there's a whole scene or two I can ditch outright, when I get there ...

Even so, this repair work doesn't provide the same satisfaction that 60-page whack several months ago:  its obviousness, its enormity, its loss of weight, relief of bulk.

Yet I must settle down.  Must realize - not all work can be showy and fantastical like that.  Sometimes ... it's just grinding.

2 comments:

Leila said...

It's a great story. I know when you've finished with the faceting, you'll have a brilliant gemstone!

DLM said...

Thank you, Leila - now if only I could stay on task on ANY one thing today. Heh.

Yeah - if I really wanted to: I would.

*Runs off to start an underwater basket-weaving class*