Saturday, June 30, 2012

Local Global Warming

Siddy hasn't been allowed to sit outside alone for days, and even walking I have denied her - to her annoyance.  As well as she and her hip have been this past week, she pants even when she stays inside; heat has never been her favorite thing, anyway.

Outside, the air feels like heated metal on your skin.  The storms are insanely violent, and last night's wasn't brief, as the tornado earlier this week was.  We only had a toppled giant-trashcan (close to empty, fortunately) and a shed door off its hinges (reparable, I think).  Even so, the world seems dry.

This is NOT summer as I knew it, growing up.  This is NOT standard climate, indigenous to my home ground.  We had days, sure, over 100.  But stretches over 105?  No.  We had storms, but I never heard of a tornado around here before I was 22 or so.  And violence like this could happen, but not multiple times a week, regularly; it used to be exceptional.

My mom's lost power twice this week; once for a day, and again last night (not sure at this writing whether it's back on).  I've been fortunate to have had only one lapse of six hours.

105-degree summers, and droughts years in the dragging.

Deniers, what will it take?  Seriously.

No comments: