Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 - the Best Part

It's that beautiful time of year when people wish each other temporarily (or perhaps just hypocritically) well, condemn the old year with all the smarm they can muster, and speak with hope about All The Stuff they intend to accomplish in the new.

While I do wish people well, this isn't my chosen forum to do so - and while I have hopes for the future, none of them is particularly tied to the calendar.  I have a reverence for anniversaries and commemoration, but commemorating the new year continues to be fairly meaningless to me for the most part - and, having spent 100% of my new year's holiday SICK (a perfect record of non-productivity - whee), I'm feeling snotty, cynical, and negative.  Also contrarian - but I'm always that.

Which brings me to my incomprehension about *others'* negativity - to wit, the annual social habit of complaining about the year just past.

2012 went by so damn fast, apart from the irritations of Tea Party economic saboteurs, I'm not sure how there's been time for anyone to accumulate enough to complain about.  Even my friends who've been HOSPITALIZED multiple times aren't kvetching - but turn on the computer, and I see more "oh it was so *awful*" in all the anonymous well-wishing than it's safe to stomach, as dizzy as I have been for four (and a half, actually) days now.

Yes, sure - I am old (and selfish), and old people think years go by faster - but *everyone* I know seems to be saying 2012 rushed by at top speed.  Those I know who could actually lay claim to "a bad year" aren't doing so, either.  Just marveling at this year and its brevity.

This year, I want to see Ax agented - hey, even sold.  Not something I can set as a goal, as if I have final control over it.  But a hope.

This year, it'll be intriguing to see what comes next at my job.

This year, watching my fur-bearing little-uns grow will be beautiful and fun.

This year will hold surprises I can't name, dream of, nor ask for today.

And that is the best part.

Have a lot of unexpected best parts, my friends.  And be well.  I certainly recommend that much, after this week!

No comments: